JK Rowling says she'd rather go to prison for 2 years than...

Social

JK Rowling says she'd rather go to prison for 2 years than...

J.K. Rowling Stuart C. Wilson/Getty Images 

CP WORLD | TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2023 

JK Rowling says she'd rather go to

prison for 2 years than be forced 

to call a man a woman

World-renowned author J.K. Rowling said she'd rather go to prison for two years than repeat the lie that “trans women are women.” 

Rowling, a British fiction writer who gained international fame and notoriety for authoring the seven-book Harry Potter series, took to X last week to react to a picture of a message projected on the exterior wall of a building that read: “Repeat After Us: Trans Women Are Women.”

Rowling shared the photograph, with a caption declaring: “No.”

Musician Scott Spalding replied to Rowling’s post with the comment, “Vote Labour, get a two-year stretch!”

His comment comes amid reports from British news outlets, including the Daily Mail, that the U.K.'s Labour Party is considering classifying “misgendering” or using pronouns that match a person's sex but not their self-declared chosen sexual identity, as an “aggravated offense” that comes with a prison sentence of up to two years. The Labour Party doesn't hold majority power, but in light of two recent by-election victories against the ruling Conservative Party, many presume it "looks inevitable."

For her part, Rowling pushed back on the idea that she should kowtow to trans ideologues to stay out of prison: “I’ll happily do two years if the alternative is compelled speech and forced denial of the reality of importance and sex. Bring on the court case, I say. It will be more fun than I’ve ever had on a red carpet.” 

Rowling envisioned life behind bars in a subsequent post in response to another X commenter who replied to her, writing, “See you on the inside. I quite fancy the kitchens.” In response, Rowling added that she was “hoping for the library, obviously,” while contending, “I think I could do ok in the kitchens.”

“Laundry might be a problem,” she continued. “I have a tendency to shrink stuff/turn it pink accidentally. Guessing that won’t be an issue if it’s mostly scrubs and sheets, though.” When another X commenter assured her, “I’m a good ironer,” Rowling responded, “I’m ok at ironing. It’s the not checking there’s a random red sock in amongst the sheets that’s the issue.”

Rowling has emerged as being among the most vocal British celebrity critics of trans ideology in recent years, specifically the false claim that biological sex is not binary. In 2020, she reacted to an opinion piece that featured the headline “people who menstruate,” declaring, “I’m sure there used to be a word for those people.”

The author sarcastically tried to recall the “word for those people” by listing off a few possibilities, including, “wumben,” “wimpund” and “woomud.” The word she was thinking of was “women.”

Rowling's comments reflect concern by women worldwide that trans ideology is seeking to erase the distinctions between the sexes to appease those suffering from gender confusion or gender dysphoria and either don't identify with either sex or identify as the opposite sex.

The famous author further insisted that “sex is real and has lived consequences.” She added: “If sex isn’t real, there’s no same-sex attraction. If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth.”

Rowling has also pushed back against the effort to provide trans-identified youth with irreversible body-mutilating procedures, like castration. The author’s criticism of trans ideology has led to the removal of a Harry Potter-themed quiz from a New Zealand book festival amid claims that its presence at the event presented a risk of “causing distress around to particular members of the community.” 

The U.K. government is controlled by the Conservative Party and will continue to be until Parliament holds its next general election at the end of 2024 or early 2025. This means that the classification of “misgendering” as an “aggravated offense” won't immediately become a reality. 

The House of Commons Library states that under current law, Parliament must be dissolved no later than Dec. 17, 2024. The latest possible date for the next general election is Jan. 28, 2025. 

Polls sampling voter intentions in the next U.K. general election show the Labour Party with an overwhelming lead over the Conservative Party, meaning that the Labour Party’s proposal targeting “misgendering” could materialize in the next Parliament if the party either wins a majority of seats outright or can successfully form a governing coalition with another political party. The Deltapoll, which surveyed 1,036 U.K. adults from Oct. 19-20, found Labour securing 47% support, with conservatives far behind at 27%.

The Deltapoll measured support for the Liberal Democrats at 10%, the Reform UK Party securing 6%, the Green Party at 5%, and both the UK Independence Party and the Scottish National Party capturing 2% support.

Comments