Ohio House Overrides Veto on Bill Banning Trans Interventions for Minors and Protecting Women's Sports

Legal

Ohio House Overrides Veto on Bill Banning Trans Interventions for Min…

Ohio House Overrides Veto on Bill Banning Trans Interventions for Minors and Protecting Women's Sports

Michael Foust ChristianHeadlines.com Contributor Updated: Jan 12, 2024
Ohio House Overrides Veto on Bill Banning Trans Interventions for Minors and Protecting Women
 Ohio’s House of Representatives on Wednesday voted to override the governor’s veto of a bill that prevents biological boys from playing on girls’ teams and also prohibits minors from receiving cross-sex hormones, puberty-blocking drugs, and trans surgeries. 

By a 65-28 vote, the House voted to override Gov. Mike DeWine’s veto of a bill with two major sections: the Saving Ohio Adolescents from Experimentation (SAFE) Act and the Save Women's Sports Act. 

Reuters reported that the bill now goes to the state Senate, which is expected to vote on it Jan. 24. 

DeWine is a Republican. Republicans control both chambers.

“This is a vote to protect women and children,” said State Rep. Melanie Miller, a bill supporter. “We must protect our children from making life-altering decisions at such an early age -- decisions that they will never be able to reverse. Moms and dads always need to be a part of these critical decisions. Regarding women’s athletics, this vote ensures that females can compete on a level playing field, and not against biological males.”

The bill, H.B. 68, says doctors are prohibited from performing “gender reassignment surgery on a minor individual” and from prescribing a “cross-sex hormone or puberty-blocking drug for a minor individual to assist the minor individual with gender transition.”

The sports section applies to high schools and universities and says schools cannot “knowingly permit individuals of the male sex to participate on athletic teams or athletic competitions designated only for participants of the female sex.” 

State Rep. Robb Blasdel, another supporter, called it a “vital step towards protecting children and upholding the integrity of women's sports in Ohio.” 

“I commend my fellow members in the House for their unwavering commitment to advocating for the well-being of children and families,” Blasdel said. “I look forward to our colleagues in the Senate doing the same.”

Comments