Louisiana to become 1st state to require Ten Commandments be displayed in schools if governor signs bill

Keep the Bible

Louisiana to become 1st state to require Ten Commandments be display…

IdealAdventure 0 170 05.29 14:29

Louisiana lawmakers passed a bill Tuesday that could make the state the first to require the Ten Commandments to be displayed in all schools and colleges that receive public funding.

Gov. Jeff Landry, a Republican, still needs to sign the new bill into law for Louisiana to make history as the first state with such a requirement.

The bill, introduced by GOP state Rep. Dodie Horton, states that the text of the Ten Commandments must be printed in classrooms on a poster no smaller than 11 inches by 14 inches and must be "the central focus" of the poster.

ther states, including Texas, South Carolina and Utah, recently attempted to approve similar legislation, according to Axios. Those states began pushing the legislation after Supreme Court rulings in cases like Kennedy v. Bremerton School District suggested a looser interpretation of the Constitution's Establishment Clause, which prohibits state-sponsored religion.

The Louisiana bill, HB 71, was given final approval Tuesday evening, when the state House passed it by a 79-16 vote, with only Democrats voting against the legislation. The Senate passed the bill earlier this month.

Horton said before the House in April that the commandments are the basis of all laws in Louisiana.

"I hope and I pray that Louisiana is the first state to allow moral code to be placed back in the classrooms," she said at the time. "Since I was in kindergarten [at a private school], it was always on the wall. I learned there was a god, and I knew to honor him and his laws."

HB 71 is expected to face legal challenges over First Amendment concerns.

"We learned the Ten commandments when we went to Sunday school," Democrat state Sen. Royce Duplessis previously told WWLTV. "As I said on the Senate floor, if you want your kids to learn the Ten Commandments, you can take them to church."

Comments